Work with Us
At AidData, we pride ourselves on having a diverse and amazing team. This is especially important when working across three anchor institutions and a growing list of interdisciplinary partners. If you are interested in joining us, check out our career openings below.
Dream Job for the Nitty-Gritty Techie:
If you think the idea of sinking your teeth into complex systems where you get use your own creativity to assess and create technical requirements to solve problems in the world of international development data is appealing, then this is the job for you.
We are looking for someone who loves to dig into the nitty-gritty of technical systems to ensure high quality and on-time delivery of project milestones for Development Gateway's products and services, particularly related to the area of software development and data analysis. Development Gateway is an institutional member of the AidData partnership. Learn more about Development Gateway here.
You will get a range of responsibilities to including: project management, technical consulting/assessment, technical requirements, data quality assurance and analysis, and technical documentation. This position will focus primarily on a large and exciting USAID award for collecting, visualizing, and analyzing geospatial and big data in over 10 countries. You’ll benefit from a wide degree of creativity, latitude, and responsibility.
What you get to do:
- Technical evaluation, architecture, and needs assessment.
- Contribute to new product development, testing, and implementation
- Work with partners, external clients and technical resources to ensure that project milestones are met on time and done to client satisfaction. May act as the technical liaison for partner and client questions.
- Translate client requirements into technical issues and features for the development team.
- Creation of project planning documents such as project plans, risk management list and work breakdown structures to aid in effective project management
- Establish and update user documentation and training materials
- Create manual system testing procedures and follow-up with developers and business team to ensure that all bugs are resolved.
- Any administrative duties and follow-up.
The Necessities for Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred. Computer Science / Computer Engineering degree preferred.
- 3-5 years of proven analytical and business experience.
- Previous experience in internet applications installation, requirements gathering, and testing (manual and automated).
- Fluency in English is required. Proficiency in Spanish and/or French is preferable.
Skills that will put you over the top:
- Excellent understanding of Internet-based applications development lifecycle and technologies.
- Familiarity with project management software; working knowledge of Java-based systems and RDBMS tools.
- Familiarity with NoSQL/Document Store databases a plus.
- Familiarity with Esri and GIS tools and basic GIS concepts a plus.
- Excellent analytical skills and commitment to continuous product and process improvement.
- Understanding of data management, analysis, and quality control a plus.
- Proven ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams in a fast-paced dynamic environment.
- Ability to communicate easily with both technical and non-technical staff.
- Good organizational skills to manage a broad and unpredictable workload and meet deadlines and work under own initiative.
- Excellent (written and verbal) communication and customer interaction skills.
- Familiarity with international development and related data types a plus.
- Ability to travel both domestically and internationally on an infrequent basis.
To apply: Send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
AidData’s Data Analyst will work closely with the Research Manager and the Program Managers to manage a large database tracking over $5.4 trillion dollars of aid allocation. The position will also help to support the creation of datasets for researchers from the world’s leading universities who are committed to using geocoded aid data and other sources of geospatial information to help the global development community make evidence-based policy and programming decisions. Responsibilities will include data acquisition and quality assurance, product development, and delivery of datasets. Apply online at: https://jobs.wm.edu/postings/17300
Required Education & Experience
A bachelor’s degree in either a development finance-related discipline or computer science discipline, such as economics, political science, international development, GIS, information systems or public policy; or commensurate professional experience (3+ years)
Analytical skills, a detail oriented nature, and demonstrated experience working with complex datasets.
Proficiency in SQL (primarily for pulling data from a database)
Excellent technical writing skills
Experience with systems administration, database design, and data-driven programming
Ability and eagerness to learn and employ new tools as needed
Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a demanding and complex work environment, to carry out assignments in a timely manner, and to adapt to changing situations and priorities
Ability to work closely with project management teams to evaluate current systems and make decisions about future programming and development
Ability to multitask by working on projects while still undertaking day-to-day operations
Preferred Education & Experience
Ability to query, join and analyze large data sets
Familiarity with Version Control systems and software (e.g. GitHub, SVN)
Familiarity with geospatial software and techniques
Previous experience with R or Stata
Familiarity with Postgres and/or MongoDB
Experience with Natural Language
Processing and/or Machine Learning
Strong knowledge of open data standards
Familiarity with International Aid Finance data standards and terminology
427 Scotland Street, Williamsburg, VA 23185
Commensurate with experience