Join the Team
We are a research lab of over 30 faculty and staff with a track record of successfully managing more than 60 grants and contracts worth more than $40 million over the last 13 years. We are economists, political scientists, computational geographers, spatial epidemiologists, program evaluators, policy analysts, media and communication professionals, and more.
For questions, please contact email@example.com. Any positions listed below that are active in the William & Mary Employment Opportunities portal are indeed open and receiving applications. Submitted applications are assessed to short-list individuals for interview. Please note: Due to the volume of applications, we are unable to respond to all applicants or give individual status updates; candidates invited for an interview will be notified.
Summer 2018 Opportunities
Opportunities for summer internships and research assistantships at AidData for undergraduate, graduate students and recent graduates will be posted here as they become available.
Internships are generally 10 weeks long and begin the Tuesday after Memorial Day, unless otherwise noted. Free on-campus housing is available for the summer.
Announcement: AidData Summer Fellows Program Transition
Thanks to the generous support of the Trice Endowment, the AidData Summer Fellows program (2013-2017) has now transitioned to the ITPIR Summer Fellows Program. The Institute for the Theory and Practice of International Relations (ITPIR), a hub for interdisciplinary, internationally-focused research at William & Mary, will continue to provide W&M students with hands-on international experiential learning opportunities through the new program. To learn more, please visit the ITPIR Summer Fellows Program page.
Applications for Summer 2018 Fellowships were due January 3. For questions, please contact the ITPIR summer fellows team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Headquartered in Williamsburg, Virginia at William & Mary, the second oldest college in the U.S. and a cutting-edge research university, AidData offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package for full-time positions, including comprehensive health, dental, and life insurance; retirement; gym access; tuition waiver program; flexible work schedule; and more.
Senior Program Manager
The Senior Program Manager position will lead a wide variety of strategic initiatives and offers a unique opportunity to work on cutting research with major policy stakeholders. The individual in this position will serve in a management role with the Policy Team, leading significant efforts to encourage uptake and use of AidData data products and research.
In particular, this position will manage a subdivision of AidData’s general business operations – policy analysis activities – working to leverage mixed mode approaches to understand the distribution and impact of financing for development. To lead this Listening to Leaders sub-division, this position will require significant independent judgment and discretion in the following areas:
- financial oversight (managing budgets for an active portfolio of grants and contracts, as well as developing budgets and proposals for new grants);
- external client management (ensuring on-time, high quality deliverables as direct point of contact for those external funders);
- personnel oversight (direct supervision of staff/research assistants);
- and project/portfolio management (principal responsible for direct implementation of AidData activities, including but not limited to large-scale biennial survey).
- Master’s degree or 4-6 years of relevant experience working for or with a bilateral or multilateral aid agency, non-governmental organization, think tank, or academic institution
- Proficiency in one or more of the following packages: Stata, SAS, Excel, Qualtrics, SQL, or R
- In-depth knowledge of issues related to global health, nutrition, and/or international development policy and practice
- Experience dealing with researchers and the global development community
- Excellent analytical skills with ability to research complex issues, evaluate options, consider consequences and recommend solutions
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a demanding and complex work environment, carry out assignments in a timely manner, and adapt to changing situations and priorities
- Record of delivering high quality outputs for international development projects or programs
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple tasks under tight deadlines and minimal supervision
- Dedicated team player with track record of working collaboratively across institutional and/or disciplinary boundaries
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including tact and diplomacy
- Demonstrated ability to translate technical information into jargon-free prose
- Outstanding presentation, communication, and collaborative leadership skills
- Excellent command of the English language, written and spoken
- Experience dealing with researchers and the global development community, including organizations such as the Gates Foundation, USAID, World Bank
- Experience writing grant proposals and contract bids
- Experience in the field of marketing or communications
- Willingness to travel
This position is based at the College of William & Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia. This is a full-time position, and salary is commensurate with experience up to the U10 midpoint (see Salary Structure for University Employees).
For more details and to apply, please visit the position listing at the William & Mary Employment Opportunities portal. There, click Apply for this Job to apply with your resume/curriculum vitae and cover letter. All applications for this position must be made through the portal; we are unable to consider any application materials received by email. Please note that applications cannot be updated once submitted, but must be withdrawn and a new application submitted for consideration.
Working at AidData
At AidData you will join world-class development professionals in solving challenging development questions, working together with colleagues from diverse disciplines including economics, computer science, geography, public health, environmental studies and political science.
AidData is a learning organization, so in addition to helping your colleagues get smarter, you will gain first-hand experience in cutting-edge approaches to data and development. As a member of a research lab you will be exposed to randomized control trials, customized coding systems, geospatial impact evaluations, elite surveys, and policy uptake initiatives.
We prioritize impact and collaboration, and you will be empowered with the tools, training, and flexibility you need to pursue projects that will allow you to leverage your strengths and interests. Whether on a walking meeting to discuss a next-gen field experiment with the World Bank or the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation or debating your annual March Madness bracket over lunch on the porch by the magnolia tree, your colleagues will be an invaluable source of ideas, learning, and fun.
Williamsburg and the surrounding areas offer a tremendous quality of life. Staff enjoy short commutes (for some of the team, less than five minutes!); extensive rivers, woods, and trails for outdoor recreation; and great colleagues who after work play on a community volleyball team, host trivia nights at local craft breweries, and organize book clubs and restaurant explorations.
For our full-time positions: As an employee of the College of William & Mary, you will be afforded competitive compensation and benefits, including comprehensive health, dental, and life insurance, retirement, and gym access. You will also receive an annual tuition reimbursement of more than $5,000, allowing AidData employees to take up to four William & Mary classes each calendar year free of charge.
In addition to updating skills through coursework, professional development is encouraged and facilitated through interaction with policymakers and established academics, development field work with local partners, and one-on-one mentoring with senior members of AidData.