Geocoded Afrobarometer Surveys
Geocoded Afrobarometer Data, Version 1.0Download
This subnationally geocoded dataset, available via request from Afrobarometer, covers Rounds One through Six of Afrobarometer's surveys in 37 African countries between 1999 and 2015. It provides hyperlocal, time-varying information about the priorities, preferences, experiences, and opinions of more than 200,000 African citizens in 28,000 localities.
Please cite this dataset using the associated white paper:
BenYishay, A., Rotberg, R., Wells, J., Lv, Z., Goodman, S., Kovacevic, L., Runfola, D. 2017. Geocoding Afrobarometer Rounds 1 - 6: Methodology & Data Quality. Williamsburg, VA. AidData.
(Most Current Version)
(Most Current Geocoded Version)
Natural Resource Concessions
This subnationally geocoded dataset covers Rounds One through Six of Afrobarometer's surveys in 37 African countries between 1999 and 2015. The dataset provides hyperlocal, time-varying information about the priorities, preferences, experiences, and opinions of more than 200,000 African citizens in 28,000 localities. More specifically, it provides village- and town-level data on:
- the most important problems that citizens would like to see their governments address;
- the perceived performance of local and national institutions in solving specific problems, such as the provision of basic education and health services;
- access to information via newspapers, radios, televisions, and mobile phones;
- levels of civic engagement and political participation;
- engagement with and confidence in local and central government institutions;
- the physical presence or absence of state institutions (e.g. police stations, health clinics, schools, water and sanitation systems);
- the reported quality of local public services;
- and local perceptions of and experiences with various forms of corruption.
To protect the privacy of individual survey participants, those who wish to access the respondent-level data must request access from Afrobarometer and comply with their data use policy.
In partnership with: